Friday, April 10, 2020 2:23:19 AM

SM file support discussion

2 years ago
#60 Quote
Horsey wrote:
be more angry that you have to pay to use the step editor for local-only content lol.

If they allowed people to play locally-downloaded content without paying, then no one would have to pay, because there's nothing to stop anyone from downloading and sharing whatever they want.
2 years ago
#67 Quote
This thread is pretty passive aggressive.  I wouldn't buy a Big Mac at McDonalds and complain that they won't change it to something else after I've already paid and received exactly what I ordered (or maybe you didnt buy the game?).  Nothing wrong with not liking something, definitely something wrong with being entitled about it though.  RH can do whatever they wan't with their IP, and I would totally be OK with them not allowing any type of .sm importing.  It's a fresh game with the intention of having regularly updating content, with an extremely enabling system for sharing charts so there shouldnt be any lack of content as long as enough songs get licensed.  That being said, I also wouldn't have a problem if they allowed it.

I just kinda miss the days of DDR and early on ITG1-2 where everyone knew the same songs and there was kind of a completitionist mentality for getting better.  Unfortunately now there is just way too much content for most people to keep up and know everything.  Having this game get popular and everyone focused mostly on the same "official" content again just personally sounds really attractive to me.  Allowing the game to be flooded with an insane amount of old content and spreading the community out thin much earlier than letting it happen naturally from completely new content being made by the community for this game feels a little gross (I'll still end up playing that old stuff im sure though lol).
2 years ago
#73 Quote
Rhythm Horizon is not an open source game and was never marketed as one. Learn to read and listen.
2 years ago
#77 Quote
SM file support exists in the form of StomperZ, honestly. It was the initial olive branch from LAMA to get in good graces with SM. You can ask for more, but in terms of integrating the core gameplay elements with SM, it's already there.

What this test is about is getting all the features working, not necessarily about marketing to a base that, frankly, was already marketed to.

I do want SM export though. I don't think import is necessary due to StomperZ, but RH has the best editor on the planet and it'd make sense to evangelize it that way.
2 years ago
#78 Quote
I can't speak for them as I have no idea for sure, but as a large part of the beta is to test the simfile creation engine, it wouldn't surprise me if their formatting for stepcharts isn't finalized yet.
2 years ago
#80 Quote
Timmetry wrote:
be more angry that you have to pay to use the step editor for local-only content lol..

That's okay since the point of the subscription is to fund the licenses, not the client? I was hoping for a client to replace Stepmania 5...
one year ago
#91 Quote
Horsey wrote:
That's okay since the point of the subscription is to fund the licenses, not the client? I was hoping for a client to replace Stepmania 5...

This was never supposed to be a replacement or upgrade from Stepmania, and they never said that it would. They were extremely clear about that well over a year ago when they first started publicly answering questions about it. This is not even a standalone client at all, it's a full online service, and the servers running that service are not free either.

However, that said, the SM community has been forced to stay underground for so many years now, mostly out of necessity, because there was no legitimate avenue for them to pursue harder and better content. But now, this project is finally the key to changing all that.

RH is the avenue to finally rising above those depths to bring truly competitive modern dance games back to the limelight in a big way. In a way that can be shown to the world. In a way that can be fully legal and licensed. In a way that can be streamed and youtube'd without issue. In a way that we can all enjoy official content and scores again. And better official content than ever before! In a way that anyone can easily contribute to that content, and even be rewarded for doing so. And in a way that everyone will one day be able to freely enjoy this content from the comfort of their homes WITH the best available hardware.

Why stop at "the next SM" when this has the potential to be so much more? When they have the ability to take everything to the next level, to move the community as a whole to new heights never before seen? While still eventually allowing members to manage their favorite old content locally for use in the same system!

I mean, try to look at the end game here, because if they play their cards right, I think it's going to be a win/win for everyone. Will take us time to get to that point, but they need to make sure this is all implemented and presented in the best way it possibly can. It's going to be very difficult for them to pull this off. Let's take it one step at a time.